Welcome to antiX.
antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install linux live CD distribution based on Debian Testing for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems. antiX offers users the "antiX Magic" in an environment suitable for old computers. So don't throw away that old computer yet! The goal of antiX is to provide a light, but fully functional and flexible free operating system for both newcomers and experienced users of Linux. It should run on most computers, ranging from 64MB old PII 266 systems with pre-configured 128MB swap to the latest powerful boxes. 128MB RAM is recommended minimum for antiX. The installer needs minimum 2.2GB hard disk size. antiX can also be used as a fast-booting rescue cd.
At the moment antiX-12 comes as a full distro (c695MB), a base distro (c355MB) and a new core distro (c135MB) all for 486 (PI and K5/K6 AMD) and 686 kernels. For those who wish to have total control over the install, use antiX-core and build up.
This wiki has had new account creation disabled due to spam. If you wish to have an account on this wiki so you can add or update content you will be required to visit the antiX forum so an account can be made for you.
08 February 2013
antiX-13 base flavours available for public testing.
antiX-13-beta1 base isos available for testing in 32 and 64 bit. (c365MB)
- 3.6.11 kernel
- dist-upgrade to 07 Feb 2013
- more options in meta-installer
- mupdf replaces epdfview and zathura
- mc removed use ranger for cli filer
- installers now give xfs, jfs, ext2 as options. btrfs is avaliable, but only use for data, not for installing onto.
- numerous 'internal' changes to antiX scripts
24 November 2012
Stand up for your freedom to install free software
Sign the petition organised by the FSF. antiX supports this campaign.
09 November 2012
antiX-12.5-alpha2 flavours available for public testing.
NEW! - 64bit versions of core, base and full!
The 486 flavours are bugfix and development releases from antiX-12. Since Debian Testing is relatively quiet development changes are predominantly with the antiX side.
- Base and full use latest 3.6.6-antix kernel
- Core is libre using latest 3.6.6-gnu-antix kernel.
- Live scripts changes mean a faster boot.
- Introduction of a dynamic fstab for running live.
- Latest apps include 0.8.2 spacefm and 0.3.4-1 udevil.
- All apps: apt-get dist-upgrade on 09 November 2012.
08 November 2012
64 bit antiX-base-alpha2 available for testing.
md5sum - 9fd0acd3ca4c20ff1817667981bfff5e antiX-base-amd64-alpha2.iso
- Bugs from alpha1 should be fixed.
- Latest 3.6.6 kernel (fixes ext4 issue)
- mplayer2 replaces mplayer
- all apps upgraded to November 07 2012.
- install-meta should now work in 64 bit
- re-organised sources.list so third party repos are included, but commented out
- added a couple of xmms skins
- xsw presentation app now works for 64 bit
- live init scripts altered for faster booting
- new live devices detection for fstab
- general code clean up for gui and cli installer
This is an alpha release as there are likely to be changes, though everything should work just fine like a final release.
07 August 2012
antiX-12 'Edelweißpiraten' available.
15 months on from the release of antiX-M11 series, we are pleased to announce the release of our antiX-12 series, code name Edelweißpiraten.
3 versions available:
full (697MB) - features 5 windows managers! IceWM(default), Fluxbox, JWM (all with or without a Rox desktop) wmii (pre-configured to get users started) and dwm. LibreOffice suite, EPDFView, osmo provide for office needs. Iceweasel 10 for browsing the Net and Claws-mail is included as our email client. XMMS is the default audio player, Streamtuner2 replaces streamtuner for audio streaming and gnome-mplayer defaults for video. File management is via Rox-filer and the new, but extremely versatile SpaceFM and udevil replace Thunar. Gucview for webcam, synaptic for gui package management, Yad replaces Zenity, lots of useful scripts (eg smxi/inxi) and many other changes including the ability to create a live.iso snapshot of an installed system (thanks to the refracta-snapshot application). There are loads of applications available for a complete desktop experience, including many cli alternatives to the gui versions eg moc for audio, irssi for chat, mplayer for video, elinks for Internet browsing, and it all fits on a 700MB cd! We are still using grub-legacy, but users are free to install grub2 if they wish.
base (356MB) - features Fluxbox, JWM, wmii and dwm. Iceweasel 10, base edition of antiX-control-centre, rox-filer, SpaceFM with udevil.
core (135MB) - no X, cli-installer only. NOTE This is libre.
All use Debian Testing repos by default and all applications upgraded via Debian 'Testing' repositories up to 06 August 2012.
All versions use the present latest stable kernel (3.5.0) - customised for antiX to allow booting with PI and AMD K5/K6 CPUs.
Note: antiX now has its own repo (thanks to Dave).
All built from scratch using debootstrap. This version of antiX is not remastered from MEPIS nor any other existing iso.
Vast improvements in running live persistence. Booting live/frugal with persistence from an ntfs (windows) partition should work, though it is not advised. Use fat or ext instead. Documentation available in /usr/share/antiX/live-boot-docs.
- Use new_usb.sh to install to usb not antix2usb gui application.
- To install grub to root partition, simply unclick the MBR box.
All apps: apt-get dist-upgrade on 06 August 2012.
Some quick advice:
1. Choose your language before installation by pressing F2 at live boot grub screen or typing lang=XX (XX= your language eg lang=ru).
2. Choose your prefered timezone by pressing F3 at live boot grub screen or typing tz=XX/YY (XX/YY = Continent/City eg tz=Europe/Athens).
3. Have a read of the cheat options by pressing F1 at live boot grub screen. See cheats below.
4. Default has nouveau disabled and vga is set to auto-detect. You may need to add cheats to get the screen resolution of your choice. Press F1 at live boot screen for options.
5. Use sgfxi (or smxi) to install nvidia/ATI drivers.
6. As antiX is a 'rolling release' distro it is advisable to run regular dist-upgrades. Using apt-get or install and use aptitude (but keep to one) from the command line is recommended, as is using the smxi script. Synaptic is best used for installing/upgrading individual packages.
7. You can safely use liquorix, aptosid, siduction and Debian kernels in antiX (if you wish). Use smxi.
8. You can set the autologin feature of SLiM in antiX Control Centre. You can also toggle F1 at the login screen to choose your desired desktop. Rox desktop (with icons) is available.
9. To install antiX to a usb device use the cli script new_usb.sh, or use unetbootin or use dd for isohybrid.
10. Have a read of the antiX FAQ and the 'How To' articles at the antiX main site. http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Howto_articles
11. Cheatcode options that carry over to install.
- desktop=fluxbox (or jwm, wmii, dwm for live)
- dpi=xx (XX=a number. Default is 96)
- noRox (Disables Rox desktop)
Thanks to everyone involved in antiX and especially to these people for work on antiX-12:
- BitJam for further improvements to antiX-live use, persistence scripts and so much more!
- Dave for Yadifying the antiX scripts. (antix-system, user-management, inxi-gui, wallpaper, add-key, add-start) and for setting up the antiX repository ... and much more!
- Translators at antiX Launchpad and eselma (Catalan), secipolla (Brazilian), dark-D (Romanian), clandestine (Brazilian), bozhkov (Bulgarian), atcl (German), Hannes Worst (Dutch), Sombreros (French), megatotoro (Spanish), Spartak77 (Italian), Utopia (Swedish), Hosuli (Finnish), Kuvaly (Czech), Piotr Strębski (Polish), Sergiy Gavrylov (Ukrainian) and all those who contributed translations to previous releases.
- h2 for integrating the smxi script into antiX and for inxi, sgfxi, svmi. (http://smxi.org)
- oldhoghead, dolphin_oracle, rokytnji, masinick, Dave, dark-D, eriefisher, lagopus, rust collector, drg, SamK, secipolla and others I may have forgotten for testing, contributing to antiX and promoting antiX as widely as possible.
- SliTaz for mountbox.
- old sidux team for install-meta package.
- Maato for volumeicon http://softwarebakery.com/maato/volumeicon.html
- carlops for hosting antiX at mepisimo.
- lassekongo83 for the GTK3 theme Zukitwo.
- David B. Cortarello for ktsuss.
- Trizen for youtube-viewer.
- Michael Deelwater for burniso.
- David M. Thompson for exoodles.
- firstname.lastname@example.org for ps_initrd.sh.
- Chris Rankin for sudoku-savant.
- tradetaxfree for zram script.
- P@draigBrady.com for ps_mem.py.
- SamK for unplugdrive.sh and JWM conguration files.
- refracta team for snapshot scripts.
All artwork is from one of the following sources.
- Tobias Zeising for permission to use rainy-day-in-sunny-june wallpaper.
- relhom for permission to use dolph wallpaper.
- Sakasa for the never-ending supply of quality wallpaper. http://bestfreewallpapers.net
- Yaroslav Kobzar for sunset_in_front_of_me http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/details/1705/sunset_in_front_of_me.html
- oldhoghead for ohh.jpg
not forgetting, of course,
- antiX Community
- MEPIS Community
- Debian team and volunteers.
- All software developers.
and all users, testers, suggesters, torrent seeders and friends at antiX and MEPIS forums.
and many more...
anticapitalista Thessaloniki 07 August 2012.
01 August 2012
Due to changes made to the latest udev (175-5) in Debian Sid, users should upgrade kernel and headers to linux-image-3.5.0-antix.2-486-smp otherwise you will not be able to boot. At the moment those using the default Debian Testing repository are not affected, but users should still upgrade the kernel and its headers.
Not screenshots, but a review article of Best-Linux-For-Old-Computer
- Login as 'demo', password = 'demo'.
- For root access, password = 'root'. Please do not login as root. It is totally unnecessary.
- Use 'sux' rather than 'su' when opening GUI apps as root in a terminal.
- Sudo is not configured by default. antiX is not Ubuntu!
- To boot from floppy, I suggest SmartBootManager.
- antiX can also boot from an .iso file on a hard-drive. Boot from iso on hard-disk This is very fast.
- antiX can also be installed as a livecd to usb. Using a live-usb-cd is very fast.
- This site is under construction. For questions, comments, please use the antiX forum or the antiX forum on MepisLovers
- There is also a lot of information suitable for antiX in the MEPIS wiki.
- Link to full list of applications used in antiX. antiX-12 antiX-12-base antiX-12-core-libre