Welcome to antiX.
antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install linux live CD distribution based on Debian Testing for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems. antiX offers users the "antiX Magic" in an environment suitable for old computers. So don't throw away that old computer yet! The goal of antiX is to provide a light, but fully functional and flexible free operating system for both newcomers and experienced users of Linux. It should run on most computers, ranging from 64MB old PII 266 systems with pre-configured 128MB swap to the latest powerful boxes. 128MB RAM is recommended minimum for antiX. The installer needs minimum 2.2GB hard disk size. antiX can also be used as a fast-booting rescue cd.
At the moment antiX-13 "Luddite" comes as a full distro (c690MB), a base distro (c400MB) and a core distro (c135MB) for 32 bit and 64 bit computers. For those who wish to have total control over the install, use antiX-core and build up.
Present released version, 20 June 2013: All isos and md5sum files available 'Luddite'
This wiki has had new account creation disabled due to spam. If you wish to have an account on this wiki so you can add or update content you will be required to visit the antiX forum so an account can be made for you.
11 October 2013
If running antiX with Debian Testing and/or Sid repos, beware that an apt-get dist-upgrade will fail to install spacefm-common and a reboot will leave you out of X and probably with no network connection.
To fix or avoid, do apt-get -f install afterwards and you may need to reset your network using ceni.
It is also advisable to remove oss-compat as it causes a long delay when booting.
03 October 2013
Latest upgrade to antiX-13.1 full fixes a bug in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list (dev was in the repo line and it is now removed- thanks SamK for spotting it). However, youtube-viewer-antix may have got upgraded to the latest version. If you are using stable repos, this will break youtube-viewer.
Simple fix if broken:
apt-get purge youtube-viewer-antix
apt-get update (make sure your antix.list does NOT have dev and debian.list is set to stable/wheezy)
apt-get install youtube-viewer-antix
If you were running antiX with testing repos, youtube-viewer probably broke a while back, but the latest should fix it. It needs perl 5.18
20 June 2013
Updated antiX-13: 13.1 released
June 20th, 2013
The antiX team is pleased to announce the first update of antiX-13 (codename "Luddite") based on Debian Stable/Wheezy. This update includes those made upstream in Debian Wheezy (http://www.debian.org/News/2013/20130615) and various bugfixes specific to antiX.
- 64 bit kernel recompiled so non-free drivers will build in Wheezy.
- 64 bit alert message when booting 32 bit iso fixed.
- 'ghost' window fix in IceWM.
- gui installer should write correct grub entries for any other installed OS.
- gui installer should set correct keyboard.
- more options to enable/disable services at boot.
- added cdw and calcurse to IceWM menu.
- fixed missing icons from IceWM menu.
- gufw firewall configuration fixed.
- permissions of antiX applications set to root:root.
- extra /lib/modules directory removed from live initrd.gz.
- more informative live /init error messages.
- added French translation to antixsources application.
- added double size xmms bugfix to xmms-plugins
- added more options to live fast boot cheats.
Users of antiX-13 can just simply upgrade via apt.
- apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
and to make changes to the IceWM menu, simply copy the menu in /etc/skel/.icewm to ~/.icewm/ and remove the installer line at the end.
anticapitalista, 20 June 2013, Thessaloniki
02 June 2013
antiX-13 'Luddite' available.
10 months on from the release of antiX-12 series, we are pleased to announce the release of our antiX-13 series, code name Luddite.
NEW! - 64bit versions of core, base and full!
3 flavours available:
full (c690MB) - features 4 windows managers! IceWM(default), Fluxbox, JWM (all with or without a Rox or SpaceFM desktop) and wmii (pre-configured to get users started). LibreOffice 4 suite, EPDFView, osmo provide for office needs. Iceweasel 22 for browsing the Net and Claws-mail is included as our email client. XMMS is the default audio player, Streamtuner2 for audio streaming and gnome-mplayer defaults for video. File management is via Rox-filer and the new SpaceFM. Gucview for webcam, synaptic for gui package management, Yad, lots of useful scripts (eg smxi/inxi) and many other changes including the ability to create a live.iso snapshot of an installed system (thanks to the refracta-snapshot application). There are loads of applications available for a complete desktop experience, including many cli alternatives to the gui versions eg moc for audio, irssi for chat, mplayer for video, elinks for Internet browsing, and it all fits on a 700MB cd! We are still using grub-legacy, but users are free to install grub2 if they wish.
base (c400MB) - features Fluxbox, JWM and wmii. Iceweasel 22, base edition of antiX-control-centre, rox-filer, SpaceFM with udevil.
core (c135MB) - no X, cli-installer only. NOTE This is libre.
All use Debian Wheezy repos by default and all applications upgraded via Debian 'Wheezy' repositories up to 01 June 2013.
All versions use kernel 3.7.10 - customised for antiX to allow booting with PI and AMD K5/K6 CPUs.
A 3.9.2 kernel is also available in the antiX repositories.
All built from scratch using debootstrap and our live build scripts.
So, what's new in antiX-13?
- 64 bit flavour as well as 32 bit.
- iceweasel-22.0 browser.
- improved boot times, particularly when running live.
- safer and faster shutdown, especially in live use.
- customised live boot menu.
- SpaceFM desktop integration.
- live remaster scripts improved.
- improvements to the antiX snapshot application.
- dynamic fstab when running live.
- xfs, jfs, ext2, btrfs file systems available in installers.
- mupdf, a very fast and light pdf reader, included.
- more options in meta-installer.
- all ISO files built using antiX-build scripts to enable consistency and freshness.
- many more!
All apps: apt-get dist-upgrade on 01 June 2013.
Some quick advice:
1. Choose your language before installation by pressing F2 at live boot grub.
2. Choose your prefered timezone by pressing F3 at live boot grub screen.
3. Have a read of the cheat options by pressing F1 at live boot grub screen.
4. Choose your preferred desktop environment by pressing F6 at live boot grub screen.
5. Use F5 to toggle graphics options.
6. F4 has extra cheats such as md5sum check and toram.
7. Use sgfxi (or smxi) to install nvidia/ATI drivers.
8. As antiX is a 'rolling release' distro it is advisable to run regular dist-upgrades. Using apt-get or install and use aptitude (but keep to one) from the command line is recommended, as is using the smxi script. Synaptic is best used for installing/upgrading individual packages.
9. You can safely use liquorix, aptosid, siduction and Debian kernels in antiX (if you wish). Use smxi.
10. You can set the autologin feature of SLiM in antiX Control Centre. You can also toggle F1 at the login screen to choose your desired desktop.
11. To install antiX to a usb device use the antix2usb gui application, UNetbootin or use dd for isohybrid.
12. Have a read of the antiX FAQ and the 'How To' articles at the antiX main site. http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Howto_articles
Thanks to everyone involved in antiX and especially to these people for work on antiX-13:
- Translators at antiX Launchpad and eselma (Catalan), secipolla (Brazilian), dark-D (Romanian), clandestine (Brazilian), bozhkov (Bulgarian), atcl (German), Hannes Worst (Dutch), Sombreros (French), megatotoro (Spanish), Spartak77 (Italian), Utopia (Swedish), Hosuli (Finnish), Kuvaly (Czech), Piotr Strębski (Polish), Sergiy Gavrylov (Ukrainian), michelmassoud (Arabic), Constantine Mousafiris (Greek) and all those who contributed translations to previous releases.
- h2 (http://smxi.org)
- afab4, CGarces, Eino, rokytnji, masinick, Dave, dark-D, dolphin_oracle, rust collector, Alanarchy, nadir, drg, SamK, male, mroot, Eperbab, peregrine, mrt-prodz, plvera, oldhoghead, eriefisher, lagopus, julian516, secipolla and others I may have forgotten for testing, contributing to antiX and promoting antiX as widely as possible.
- SliTaz for mountbox.
- old sidux team for install-meta package.
- Maato for volumeicon http://softwarebakery.com/maato/volumeicon.html
- carlops for hosting antiX at mepisimo.
- lassekongo83 for the GTK3 theme Zukitwo.
- David B. Cortarello for ktsuss.
- Trizen for youtube-viewer.
- Michael Deelwater for burniso.
- David M. Thompson for exoodles.
- firstname.lastname@example.org for ps_initrd.sh.
- tradetaxfree for zram script.
- P@draigBrady.com for ps_mem.py.
- SamK for unplugdrive.sh and JWM conguration files.
- refracta team for snapshot scripts.
All artwork is from one of the following sources.
- Tobias Zeising for permission to use rainy-day-in-sunny-june wallpaper.
- relhom for permission to use dolph wallpaper.
- Sakasa for the default wallpaper. http://vedgoo.com/
- Yaroslav Kobzar for sunset_in_front_of_me http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/details/1705/sunset_in_front_of_me.html
- oldhoghead for ohh.jpg
not forgetting, of course,
- antiX Community
- MEPIS Community
- Debian team and volunteers.
- All software developers.
and all users, testers, suggesters, torrent seeders and friends at antiX and MEPIS forums.
and many more...
anticapitalista Thessaloniki 02 June 2013.
24 November 2012
Stand up for your freedom to install free software
Sign the petition organised by the FSF. antiX supports this campaign.
Please seed torrents once you have downloaded antiX. Thanks.
antiX video guides by runwiththedolphin
Not a video, but a review article of Best-Linux-For-Old-Computer
- Login as 'demo', password = 'demo'.
- For root access, password = 'root'. Please do not login as root. It is totally unnecessary.
- Use 'sux' rather than 'su' when opening GUI apps as root in a terminal.
- Sudo is not configured by default. antiX is not Ubuntu!
- To boot from floppy, I suggest SmartBootManager.
- antiX can also boot from an .iso file on a hard-drive. Boot from iso on hard-disk This is very fast.
- antiX can also be installed as a livecd to usb. Using a live-usb-cd is very fast.
- This site is under construction. For questions, comments, please use the antiX forum or the antiX forum on MepisCommunity
- There is also a lot of information suitable for antiX in the MEPIS wiki.
- Link to full list of applications used in antiX. antiX-13-full antiX-13-base antiX-13-core-libre
- Useful documentation:antiX-FAQ Live boot menu options Detailed guide to antiX-live